Divorce & Separation Lawyers Cairns
If you have been formally separated from your ex-partner for 12 months, you can apply for a divorce through the courts. Our family law team will provide you with advice about the divorce process, costs, and relevant time limits so you can make decisions with confidence.
Preston Law has been an established law firm since 1991 and has a wealth of experience handling all types of divorces and separations. Whether you and your ex-partner are on good terms or need mediation to come to an agreement, it is important to seek legal advice. Our experienced Cairns family lawyers will help you navigate through the process and ensure your rights are properly protected.
We understand that divorces and separations can be stressful, without the added pressure of legal fees or navigating through the process without legal representation. We are confident that our expert family divorce lawyers will not only ensure you are aware of your entitlements but will help you reach the best outcome.
In some circumstances, we can offer fixed fee services or a ‘pay on settlement’ option to help reduce the stress and financial burden of engaging an expert divorce lawyer.
We have divorce lawyers in Townsville and Cairns, so no matter where you are in North Queensland, we’re here to protect your interests and entitlements.
Call Us Now For A Free Initial Consultation
Why you need legal representation in a divorce?
When a marriage or de facto relationship ends, there is always a division of debt and assets whether that’s property such as a house, or superannuation. Even in an amicable divorce, discussions about splitting finances can lead to friction, and without knowing your rights, you could find yourself exposed legally.
Our family lawyers will help you work through the process with compassion and understanding, so you can navigate your divorce, child custody and financial matters knowing that you are supported every step of the way.
When you are ready to apply for a divorce, the procedure is straightforward:
- complete the Application for Divorce, available online via the Family Court of Australia page
- sign the application in the presence of a qualified witness, such a family lawyer
- ensure you have a copy of your marriage certificate when filing the application with the court. There is also a court filing fee
- if you have filed a sole application, you will need to serve the application on your spouse. A lawyer can help you with this
- attend the divorce hearing
- the Divorce Order will be sent you by the court one month and one day following the Divorce Hearing
- learn about your options through an obligation free consultation with one of our divorce lawyers in Cairns.