Once you have been formally separated from your ex-partner for 12 months, you can apply for a divorce through the courts. Our family lawyers in Cairns will provide you with advice about the divorce process, costs, and relevant time limits so you can make decisions with confidence.
An established law firm since 1991, we have a wealth of experience handling all types of divorces and separations. Whether you and your ex-partner are on good terms, or need mediation to come to an agreement, our experienced family divorce lawyers, will help you navigate through the process and ensure your rights are properly protected.
Divorces and separations can be stressful, without the added pressure of legal fees or navigating through the process without legal representation, which only makes the situation harder. We are confident that our team will not only ensure you are aware of your entitlements but will help you reach the best solution. With this in mind, we can offer payment plans to help reduce the stress. In some circumstances, we can offer a fixed fee service or deferred payment option to alleviate the financial burden of engaging an expert divorce lawyer.
Contact one of our expert Divorce Lawyers to find out if you are eligible.
Why you need legal representation in a divorce?
When a marriage or de facto relationship ends, there is always a division of debt and assets, such as a house, or superannuation. Even in an amicable separation, discussions about splitting finances can cause friction and without knowing your rights, you could leave yourself exposed. We pride ourselves on reaching the best outcome for our clients in the family courts.
We always treat our clients and their requests with compassion and understanding. Our family lawyers will help you work through the process so you can navigate your divorce, child custody and financial matters with peace of mind that you are supported every step of the way.
When you are ready to apply for a divorce, the procedure is straightforward:
- Complete the Application for Divorce, available online via the Family Court of Australia page.
- Sign the application in the presence of a qualified witness, such as a family lawyer.
- Ensure you have a copy of your marriage certificate when filing the application with the court. There is also a court filing fee
- If you have filed a sole application, you will need to serve the application on your spouse. A lawyer can help you with this.
- Attend the divorce hearing
- The Divorce Order will be sent you by the court one month and one day following the Divorce Hearing.
Learn about your options through an obligation free consultation with one of our family lawyers in Cairns.