Once you have been formally separated from your ex-partner for 12 months, you can apply for a divorce through the courts. Our family lawyers will provide you with advice about the divorce process, costs, and relevant time limits so you can make decisions with confidence.
When you are ready to apply for a divorce, the procedure is straightforward and outlined below:
- Complete the Application for Divorce, available online via the Family Court of Australia page.
- Sign the application in the presence of a qualified witness, such a lawyer.
- Ensure you have a copy of your marriage certificate when filing the application with the court. There is also a court filing fee
- If you have filed a sole application, you will need to serve the application on your spouse. A lawyer can help you with this.
- Attend the divorce hearing
- The Divorce Order will be sent you by the court one month and one day following the Divorce Hearing.
Learn about your options through an obligation free consultation with one of our family lawyers.