Proper staff education and training has been shown to reduce risk and improve outcomes across the board.
Frequent presenters at local government industry conferences, the team at Preston Law also provide regular training to local governments on issues ranging from risk and compliance, land tenure, probity, and legislative updates.
Results for Clients
Recent training includes:
- LGMA State Conference – Conduct and Performance of Councillors;
- Cairns Regional Council – Current Councillor Issues;
- Cairns Regional Council – Conflict of Interest Issues;
- Mareeba Shire Council – Belcarra Amendments to Local Government Act 2009 and Practical Tips;
- Isaac Regional Council – Councillor Complaints;
- Cloncurry Shire Council – Councillor Complaints and Meeting Procedures;
- Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council – Conduct and Performances of Councillors, Statutory Obligations Under the Local Government Act 2009 and Land Tenure
With an Accredited Probity Advisor as part of the local government team, Preston Law has been helping Councils comply with their ethical obligations for decades. This includes training on the legislative obligations placed on Councils themselves, elected officials, and Council employees as well as the development of policies and procedures to ensure compliance on a range of issues such as:
- Conflict of interest issues;
- Contractual disputes;
- Changes to tender specifications;
- Tender management advice and complaint assistance; and
- Advice on assessment criteria, evaluation methods, contents of reports and recommendations.