Preston Law provides advice on the legal and regulatory issues governing the Queensland mining industry at the local, state, and Commonwealth level.
Clients involved in complex mining and resources projects in both Queensland and interstate benefit not only from our technical expertise but also our understanding of the day-to-day operational issues that mining companies and landholders face.
With a deep understanding of the often difficult political, social, and environmental context in which our mining clients operate, we strive to develop strategies and deliver outcomes that sensitively address these factors while still supporting their commercial objectives.
Our commercial and mining lawyers act for ASX-listed and private companies involved in mineral exploration and production.
- Negotiating and documenting the sale and purchase of resource authorities
- Environmental compliance and defending DEHP prosecutions
- Resolving objections to mining leases
- Documenting and negotiating Landholder Compensation Agreements and Conduct and Compensation Agreements
- Representing miners and landholders in the Land Court relating to objections to resource authorities and environmental authorities and compensation determinations.
- Native title and Indigenous cultural heritage advice.
Contact us to learn how we can support you.
Results for clients
Our commercial law team have acted for significant clients on substantial mining projects, including:
- Acting for a private client on the purchase of the Forsayth Gold Project.
- Submission to the State in relation to our client’s alleged non-compliance under the Mineral Resources Act 1989 and breaches of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Qld).
- Negotiation of the Herberton Tin Project Indigenous Land Use Agreement.
- Acted for our client in relation to the negotiation of compensation agreements and landholder agreement over State and local government-controlled roads.
- Acting for the Charters Towers Gold Project in relation to Native Title and Cultural Heritage Agreements.
- Acted for the NQ Miners Association in the negotiation of a standard small-scale mining Indigenous Land Use Agreement.
- Acted for the Cloncurry Copper Project in the negotiation of a cultural heritage plan.
- Acted for miners to document right to negotiate agreements and ancillary agreements to resolve native title and cultural heritage issues.
- Acted for numerous clients in Land Court Hearings relating to landholder objections and claims for compensation.