We handle disputes of all types, from debt recovery matters to complex contractual disputes, to actions in negligence and nuisance (both with Council as the plaintiff and Council as the defendant) and regulatory actions under various different pieces of legislation.
We pride ourselves on helping achieve outcomes that are both commercially minded, and sensitive to specific community issues.
Our litigators are skilled proponents of alternative dispute resolution, and many claims we are instructed in do not proceed to Court. Our success in resolving disputes is based on our careful strategic management of matters.
- strategic advice on dispute resolution, both in and out of court;
- drawing pleadings;
- attending to all steps associated with a court process, including trial.
Results for Clients
- Acting for a regional council on various disputes with a contractor concerning a $17M contract for the construction of a desalination plant. Our client terminated the contract and successfully defended against the claims made by the contractor following termination;
- Successfully defending a claim, made against the vendor of a $4M resort, in the Supreme Court;
- Successfully defending a $500,000 claim made against a regional council by a civil contractor in an arbitration proceeding for variations under a road upgrade contract;
- Acting for a large indigenous regional council on disputes with respect to jetty and wharf infrastructure and rectification at the expense of the shipping operator;
- Acted for numerous local governments and State Government instrumentalities to put in place a debt recovery procedure "from the ground up", including organisational policies and precedent letters, and training staff in the process, so that during the early stages of a debt recovery matter, issues can be dealt with without the intervention of lawyers;
- Provided advice to numerous local governments and State Government instrumentalities about managing complex dispute issues, both in and out of court;
- Acted for numerous local governments in Magistrates, District and Supreme Court litigation on complex debt recovery matters under a range of different contractual arrangements;
- Briefing counsel and appearing in courts of various jurisdictions including the High Court in relation to dispute matters;
- Preparing complex pleadings in court proceedings, including judicial review proceedings;
- Acting as lead solicitor on behalf of a local government in a coronial inquest in the Coroner’s Court of Queensland.