Cairns Wills & Estates Planning
We understand that death is an uncomfortable topic for most people. However, it is important to ensure you have a valid Will and succession plan in place to make life simpler for those you love, should something ever happen to you.
Whether that means deciding on guardianship of your children, funeral arrangements, or who’s in line to look after your beloved dog, our lawyers can help you set out your wishes clearly, and ensure they are legally binding, so there is no confusion or arguing after you are gone.
Our Wills & Estates Services
No matter what stage of life you are at, we can advise and assist you with:
- preparing your Will and estate plan
- personal succession planning (including Wills, powers of attorney, powers of guardianship, tax structures, financial agreements, testamentary trusts, retirement planning)
- advanced health care directives (to direct what medical treatment you do or don’t want)
- administering the estate of a loved one, if you have been made an executor
- disputing a Will, if you feel you haven’t been treated fairly
- defending a Will, if it is being challenged by someone else
- challenging an executor.
When to make or review your will
A valid Will is the only way to ensure your assets and property is distributed according to your wishes after your death. For this reason, it is important that your Will is reviewed every 5-7 years to account for any life changes. Life changes that should be considered include:
- When you buy or sell a house
- When your relationship changes to married, separated or divorced
- When you have children
- When you become a grandparent
- Inheriting or winning a significant sum of money or asset
Whether your situation is simple or complex, our wills and estates lawyers can explain your options and help you prepare for the future.
Fixed Fees – No Surprises
We know that certainty around fees is important to our clients, so we offer fixed fees for the preparation of simple Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney, and Advance Health Directives.
If you have a more complex estate (for example, multiple trusts, family businesses), talk to us for an estimate.
All of our estate planning services include:
- An initial meeting with an experienced solicitor to discuss your requirements
- Amendment of draft documents
- A final meeting to sign your Will
- Arranging for your attorneys to sign their part of your Enduring Power of Attorney
- Certified Copies of your Enduring Power of Attorney, whenever you need them
- Secure storage of your Will or Enduring Power of Attorney in our strongroom.