Motorbike Accident Compensation Lawyers Cairns

Home Services Compensation Law Motorbike Accident Compensation

Motorbike Crash Claims

Whether you ride a motorbike for convenience or recreation, it is important that you always feel safe on the road. However, there are often times when safety is out of our control and a collision with a car or truck on the road can happen through no fault of your own. Injuries sustained in a motorbike accident can often be life-changing, so it is important to know what to do if you are involved in one.

If you have been injured on the road while riding your motorbike, you may be entitled to claim compensation. This is usually paid by the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurer of the other vehicle involved in the accident.

What do I do if I have been involved in a motorbike accident?

If you have been involved in a motorbike accident, it is important that you:

  • Report the incident to the police
  • Find out who the insurer is for the “at fault” vehicle
  • Get a medical certificate that details your injuries from your doctor/s

Failing to do any of the above may affect your chances of successfully claiming compensation for the motorbike accident.

Time Limits

In Queensland, there are strict time limits that apply for bringing forward a compensation claim for a motorbike accident. A Notice of Claim is required to be issued to the other party’s CTP Insurer within 9 months of the date of the incident.

If you engage the services of a motorcycle accident lawyer to handle your claim, a Notice of Claim must be issued within 1 month of first consulting with them for advice. In the case of a motorbike accident claim that involves unidentified vehicles, the Notice of Claim can be issued to the Nominal Defendant within three months of the date of the accident.

In the event the claim goes to Court, formal legal proceedings generally need to commence within three years from the date of the accident, unless the injured person was under 18 when the accident occurred.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, speak to our team of personal injury lawyers today.

Make an Enquiry

Frequently Asked Questions

How much compensation will I receive?

The amount of compensation you receive will vary depending on a number of factors that will be assessed. These include:

  • Your pain and suffering
  • Any sick leave, wages and superannuation that has been lost because of any injuries sustained from the accident
  • The likelihood of future loss of income and superannuation
  • Past and future medical costs
  • Costs to travel to and from medical treatment
  • Any associated legal costs in making the claim

The process involved in determining the exact amount of compensation you can claim following a motorbike accident is complicated and involves the examination of medical evidence and each person’s individual circumstances. 

How much does it cost to make a claim?

The cost of bringing a compensation claim for a motorbike accident injury varies depending upon how long it takes to prepare and present the claim to the CTP Insurer.

Preston Law handles the majority of compensation claims on a no-win no-fee basis, meaning you do not pay us until your claim has settled. This means there are no upfront costs for our compensation lawyers to help you through the claims process. It also means that we will pay for all medical reports and other costs incurred throughout the claims process until we successfully obtain compensation. If you don’t receive compensation, we don’t get paid.

How long will my motorbike accident compensation claim take?

Every motorcycle accident claim is different. Typically, claims can take between 9 and 18 months for an outcome to be reached. Remember, you should also report the accident to the police within 28 days of the incident.

I was injured as a pillion passenger, can I make a claim?

The short answer is yes. If you were a passenger on a motorbike and were involved in an accident, you are able to make a claim. This can be against the rider of the same motorbike or someone else.

What if I was injured in a road accident on my way to or from work?

In addition to potentially having access to a CTP compensation claim, you may be able to claim workers’ compensation.

Call Us Now For An Obligation Free Consultation

Townsville Lawyers