Public Liability Claims Cairns
If you have been injured in a public place in Queensland due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. A public place can be any of the following:
- Supermarkets and shopping centres
- Sporting fields or schoolyards
- Parks, gardens and footpaths
- Private residential property, including a friend or family member’s house
Individuals and businesses have a duty of care to ensure the safety of their patrons or people who come on their property. Most property owners and all businesses are required by law to have a public liability insurance policy in place. If you have been injured in a public place, the other party’s insurer is responsible for paying compensation. If they do not have insurance in place or have voided their policy, they will be directly liable to pay the compensation.
Public Liability Claims Payout
The amount of compensation you are entitled to will vary depending on:
- The severity of the injury, and the medical treatment needed
- The extent to which the injury has affected your capacity to continue working
- Your age and how much you earn
Starting the Process
If you would like to make a public liability claim, you firstly need to give a Notice of Claim to the person or business that owned or controlled the space where you were injured.
If you are unsure on how to proceed with making a public liability claim, our public liability claims lawyers can help you. Contact us today for a free initial claim assessment. Our Cairns compensation lawyers work on a no win, no fee basis.